One of my favorite ways to pamper myself has always been getting manicures. Especially since getting engaged, I can’t stand to see my nails undone!
For years, I got artificial nails at the salon and eventually learned that I was severely allergic. I switched to gel manicures and learned a few months later, that I was even more allergic to that.
Once nail salons were out of the picture, I needed to find a way to keep up my manicures. I have pretty weak natural nails and my nail polish always looked awful, so I started to explore at home artificial nails.
After looking through ingredients and testing some different brands and glues, I found the perfect combination! It’s also the most affordable I can find and lasts me up to 2 weeks.
Here is how I do my nails for under $10 in 10 minutes!
What to Buy
- My favorite nail brand is KISS. They are super affordable and have so many different shapes, sizes, colors and designs. The gel fantasy are my favorite, but I also like the impress line.
- I also invest in the KISS maximum speed nail glue! It’s much stronger than the glue that comes with the nails and absolutely worth the extra few bucks. I buy it in bulk on Amazon since I use it all the time (I also usually buy my nails on Amazon or at the drugstore if I need them right away).
- The only other thing I use is a good nail file! The nail pack comes with a small file, but I like to use my larger, stronger one.
What You Get
In the nail package, you’ll get your nails, glue, a mini file, a cuticle pusher, and stickers.
You can try them out for yourself, but I never use the mini file, glue, or stickers. This glue is basically useless. The glue I mentioned previously is so much stronger! And I’ve never even tried these stickers.
To get my nails ready, I file the surface of each nail and push back my cuticles. Filing gives my nails a smooth surface and helps the glue cling on longer!
Next, I test the sizes of each nail and line them all out. The back of the nails have numbers so it makes it easy to find its pair.
Applying the Nails
Once everything is out and prepped, I apply a generous amount, but not too much, of the maximum speed glue to one nail. I then apply the artificial nail and press down firmly for about 30 seconds.
Make sure that the glue gets all the way to your cuticle and on the sides of your nail. When I press down, I make sure to press on every part of the nail so that it stays for as long as possible.
Repeat on every finger!
Shape Them Up!
This particular shape and length was a little much for me, so I shaped them myself! I do this all the time with the KISS nails to fit my personal style. Sometimes I want round, other times I want square. It’s so easy to file or cut them down to the shape you desire!
Now I have gorgeous nails in about 10 minutes!!
1. Write down the number of the nails that fit your nail bed. Now that I know which nails fit my nail beds best, I keep the numbers in notes on my phone. I still double check every time in case the numbers change at all from pack to pack, but this makes your manicures so much easier the next time!
2. Leave your thumbs for last! When applying the nails, do all 8 fingers first and leave your thumbs for last. This makes it easier to apply the other nails.
3. Try not to get your nails wet for a few hours after applying. This isn’t a necessary step, but I’ve found that they last longer if they stay dry for awhile. I usually do my nails at night to make this easier!
4. Keep your nail glue in your purse. I like to do this just in case one of my nails happens to fall off or loosen while I’m out. This way, I can quickly and easily fix it in the bathroom.
5. Save the extra nails in the pack! I save my pack after I apply my nails because I usually can get 2 manicure out of it! Though the first set of numbers fit my nail bed best, I sometimes can use the extras for another manicure. Can’t beat a 2 for 1 deal!
This post is not sponsored and all opinions are my own.
Thanks so much for stopping by to read my not-so-secret diary!
Make sure to follow me on Instagram! I post tons of stories about my nails.